Monday, May 10, 2010

Weeknight Treat: Rhubarb Crumble


I love rhubarb.... so every spring I find myself cooking up new creations with this tasty veggie-fruit. No matter how many interesting and unique recipes I stumble upon, I always end up fixing the ol' faithful crumble. My crumble topping depends on what's in my cupboard, but I always use brown sugar, oatmeal and flax seeds. The best part of this oh so delicious dessert is that you can't really mess up. So throw in your favorite goodies and don't worry so much following a recipe. However, if you must... here is a good one from Heidi Swanson.

I prefer to make individual crumbles in ramekins, an easy way to satisfy a crumble craving for only two people (scale down the recipe, obviously). Baking this crumble in a cast iron skillet or baking dish, works perfectly as well. The following recipe serves 6-8.

{filling}
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 quart strawberries, blueberries or other berries (optional)
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup raw sugar (any sugar will do)
3 tablespoons cornstarch

{topping}
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons flax seeds

*Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
*serves 6-8





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails